Saturday, February 12, 2011

Whoopie Pies - 2nd attempt Successful!

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies, I will not give up on you! I made a final attempt last night to make these sweet little treats and I must say 2nd time's the charm.



I "kinda" cheated this time and used a recipe that called for the boxed cake mix. I found the recipe on Group Recipes and it turned out really well. You can use any flavor of cake mix but I was in a Valentine mood so I used Red Velvet.  I also decided to put Betty (my Kitchen Aid stand up mixer) up for this recipe and use Steve (my hand mixer) since I over mixed the last batch.



The recipe has a bit of a tweak on the water and oil measurements from the cake mix directions but it was still pretty straight forward.  After you mix everything together the recipe calls for dropping 2 tablespoons of batter on the parchment covered cookie sheet. I think that was just a little too much but I ended up cutting out a circle shape so it really didn't matter.






The filling is delicious! Butter, cream cheese and marshmallow fluff, what's not to love?



After the pies came out of the oven and cooled, I used my biscuit cutters and cut out circles.



I used a plastic bag as a piping bag and piped some filling on one of the pies and then topped it with the matching pie.






Since Valentine's Day is Monday, I packaged a whoopie pie with parchment paper in one of those disposable plastic containers with a red lid. I also found some really cute printables on Catch My Party and attached it with double stick tape (my new favorite thing).



Happy Valentine's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment