Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Beer Review Wednesday ~ Naked Pig


This week I'm keepin' it local and giving an Alabama beer a try. Well, actually a second try. I tasted this beer 2 years ago at the Rocket City Brewfest in Huntsville and I remembered loving it but forgot all about it because I couldn't find it easily. Apparently they've expanded their distribution because I can find it more readily now. (YIPEE!)

Back Forty Beer Co. is out of Gadsden, AL which is about 1 1/2 hour southeast of Huntsville. I instantly was drawn to this beer for 2 reasons: 1) the name {LOVE} and 2) the label {LOVE LOVE}. If I'm looking into a cooler at my local package store and I don't know what I want,  I will pick based on the label. I know, I'm a marketers dream but in my opinion, packaging is kinda a big deal. You know, first impressions and all...

So any who, here we go... hope it's as good as I remember! I apologize for the pictures. Lighting is something I'm working on :)


 Back Forty Beer Company, Alabama - Naked Pig Pale Ale

Serving type:  Bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Golden/orange, clear with decent head but it didn't really stick around for long.

Smell:  Faint smell of hops and citrus/lemon. The smell isn't very prominent.

Taste: Bitter hops taste with citrus flavor. It's very refreshing but it tastes more like an IPA (not that I'm complaining...YUM!)

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, light to medium body.

Overall: This is a very refreshing beer, great for summer. I seem to be picking a lot of those lately (I guess I'm just not ready for a chocolate stout this time of year). This beer did taste more like an IPA to me but since I LOVE IPA's it's not a big deal. Overall, not too bad for a new(er) local brew. Thumbs up Back Forty!

I bought my Naked Pig at Hammerknockers package store in Athens but here's where you can get one in your neck of the woods. http://www.backfortybeer.com

What's your favorite "local" brew?

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment